- Position a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 400 degrees . Cut out the center of the bread, leaving a 1-inch border. Using your fingers, hollow out the bread to leave about 1 inch at the bottom.
- Place the cut-out bread on a work surface; cut into rectangular pieces to use as dippers. Place on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO; toss. Place the bread bowl on the same baking sheet. Bake until the inside of the bowl is toasted, 5 minutes. Transfer the bread bowl to a platter. Toss the dippers again and bake for 5 minutes more. Transfer to the platter; increase oven heat to 450 degrees .
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat; add 2 tbsp. EVOO. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Add the sausage; cook, breaking it into chunks, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the mini- pepperoni and sauce. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 5 minutes.
- Return the bread bowl to the baking sheet; ladle in the sauce. Top with the 2 cheeses. Bake until the cheese browns, about 10 minutes. Top with the basil.
- Nestle the bread bowl among the dippers on the platter.